We know reading is great for kids (and adults too). The question has never been, “should my kid read?” No, the question is actually, “how can I get my kid to read, and love it?”
Growing a passion for reading is something that takes a lifetime to establish; very few kids will just start picking up books and not setting them down until they finish. Getting kids to enjoy reading is a long process, but it is worth it every step of the way.
Here are just a few tips we’ve found to encourage reading in young children.
- Read to them
- Read with them
- Read around them
- Get books about topics they will actually enjoy
- Leave reading materials everywhere in your house and car
- Take lots of trips to the library
- Reward your children for finishing a book
- Play games that revolve around reading
- Give them a reason to read (reading will teach them to learn a new activity, game, etc…)
- Correspond with other parents to create a mini “book club” for your children
- Have set “reading times” where everyone in the house reads for 15 or 20 minutes
- Couple reading with actual life experiences (if your child reads about animals, take them to the zoo)
- Remember that reading isn’t just “books”…it can be menus, road signs, websites, or anything that your child enjoys
Do you have some other great reading tips? Tell us about them in the comment section below!